Skip to main content

Homeless Families/Students

During these difficult economic times our desire is to help. If your family is living in a homeless condition please contact the Phoenix Central School District Homeless Student Liaison at 315-695-1648.

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • Lives in a motel, vehicle, or campground;
  • Lives on the street or in an abandoned building or trailer; or
  • Shares the housing of another person(s) due to loss of housing or economic hardship;


Then, your preschool-aged and school aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. Your children have the right to:

  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency for homeless children that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Go to school in the school district in which you found shelter, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there. Your children must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children. 
  • Or, continue in the school your children attended before your family became homeless if that is your choice and is feasible.  If a school district sends your child to a school other than one of these you requested, the school district must provide you with a written explanation and offer you the right to appeal the decision.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment. 
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed as provided to all other children served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.
  • Receive transportation to the school your children attended before your family became homeless, if you or a guardian requests such transportation.
  • Receive free or reduced priced meals if your children qualify.

Affidavit Forms