1. A student’s personally identifiable information (PII) cannot be sold or released by the District for any commercial or marketing purposes.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education
record including any student data stored or maintained by the District. This right of inspection is consistent with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). In addition to the right of inspection of the educational record, Education Law §2‐d provides a specific right for parents to inspect or receive copies of any data in the student’s educational record. NYSED will develop policies and procedures pertaining to this right sometime in the future.
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of PII, and safeguards associated with industry
standards and best practices, including, but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password
protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx, or parents may obtain a copy of this list by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
5. Parents have the right to file complaints with the District about possible privacy breaches of student data by the District’s third‐party contractors or their employees, officers, or assignees, or with NYSED. Complaints regarding student data breaches should be directed to Theodore Love, Director of Technology, 116 Volney St., Phoenix NY, 13135. Phone: 315-695-1534 email: email@example.com. Complaints to NYSED should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany NY 12234, email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov. The complaint process is under development and will be established through regulations to be proposed by NYSED’s Chief Privacy Officer, who has not yet been appointed.