RELEASED TIME FOR RELIGIOUS INSTRUCTION
A student will be released for religious instruction for a maximum of one hour each week upon the presentation to his/her Building Principal of a parental request in writing.
Regular high school credit may be earned upon the successful completion of religious instruction in compliance with state and local guidelines and upon approval of the High School Principal.
The release is subject to the following:
1. the courses in religious observance and education must be maintained and operated by or under the
control of a duly constituted religious body or duly constituted religious bodies; .
2. students must be registered for the courses and a copy of the registration filed with the local public school
3. attendance reports on each student shall be filed with the Principal or teacher at the end of the week;
4. the hour for absence shall be the same for each student in a unit (K-3), (46), (7-9) and (10-12), unless the
Board deems otherwise; and
5. in the event that more than one school for religious observance and education is maintained in any district,
the hour for absence for each particular public school in such district shall be the same for all religious
Students on released time cannot legally be conveyed from school to churches or places designated for religious instruction in a school owned bus.
Ref: 8 NYCRR '109.2
Zorach v Clauson, 343 U.S. 306 (1952)
Adoption date: January 1, 1993
Reviewed on: April 8, 2003