COMPUTER-ASSISTED INSTRUCTION REGULATION
A technology team will consist of the Technology Coordinator, building computer specialist and LAN
technicians working in conjunction with Building Administrators.
1. The Technology Coordinator will arrange with BOCES and the building computer
specialist for training and staff development of all district staff in computer related skills.
2. The Building specialist along with building Administrators will assist teachers with
incorporating the use of computers into their respective subject areas.
1. School computer specialists/LAN techs are responsible for keeping an updated inventory of
all Computer hardware and software assigned to their building. Each building specialist/
LAN tech will keep records regarding hardware assigned to specific teachers/rooms. When
new hardware is received, the building specialist/ LAN tech will contact the district records
management clerk to mark Phoenix owned equipment or contact the District LAN Tech who
will contact OCM BOCES for BOCES owned equipment.
2. The Technology Coordinator is responsible for all procedures regarding equipment
inventory in the district.
3. The district records management clerk is responsible for marking all Computer hardware
purchased and owned by the district. (This includes labeling all computers and major
equipment with district stickers) Components which are installed internal within a computer
such as expansion cards, hard drives, and memory will be recorded separately on paper
and will not be tagged.
4. An annual equipment needs assessment will be conducted at each building during the
spring of the school year. All Building Computer specialists, LAN Techs and the Technology
computer coordinator will be involved in determining both long and short-range needs at
Maintenance and Repair of Equipment
1. The Building Computer Specialist is responsible for:
a. initiating all repairs to computer hardware.
b. basic repairs commensurate with his/her training and skill
c. overseeing the maintenance and repairs or all computer hardware assigned to his/her
d. informing the Technology Coordinator when equipment repairs require services from an
outside agency other than BOCES.
e. notifying the Technology coordinator when equipment needs to be replaced.
2. The Technology coordinator is responsible for:
a. overseeing the maintenance and repair of all district owned Computer hardware;
b. approving of those repairs that must be done by an outside agency, other than BOCES
c. approving of the replacement of equipment that is determined to be to costly to repair
1. The Technology Coordinator, along with the building computer specialist/LAN tech will be
responsible for insuring that all copyright laws pertaining to the duplication of computer
software are followed.
2. Building computer specialist/LAN tech will be responsible for making sure that licensing
requirements of software used in each of the buildings are followed.
3. Building computer specialist/LAN tech, in cooperation with the library Media Specialist will
make staff aware of all copyright laws pertaining to computer software and the Internet.
Staff use of Computers Hardware Outside of School
1. Computer use outside of school is limited to school functions only.
2. Each building computer specialist/LAN tech will follow a district wide computer sign out
procedure. The procedure will include:
a. a form signed by the staff member which states that he/she will be responsible for
damages that may occur other than through normal use of the equipment. The form is
then signed by the building computer specialist/LAN tech and Building Principal;
b. an inspection by the building computer specialist/LAN tech of the computer
hardware/software before it leaves the building and upon its return;
3. The Technology coordinator is responsible for overseeing the compliance of the above
Long Range Planning for Purchase of New Computer Hardware/Software
1. It is the responsibility of the building computer specialist/LAN tech along with the curriculum
specialists, because of their role in the instructional process, to recommend to the Technology
coordinator and the Building Principal, the purchase of replacement and/or additional computer
software. These recommendations will be based on both the need to replace out-dated software
and the need to supplement the instructional program with new software.
2. It is the responsibility of the building computer specialist/LAN tech and the Building Principal to
recommend to the Technology coordinator, the purchase of replacement and/or additional
computer hardware. These recommendations will be based on both the need to replace worn
equipment and materials and the need to supplement the instructional program with new
3. The Technology Coordinator is responsible for the purchase of all Computer hardware for the
4. The building computer specialist/LAN tech will be responsible for purchasing software for his/her
building. The Building computer specialist/LAN Tech will make the Technology coordinator aware
in writing of planned computer software purchases so that all buying can be done at the best
5. The Technology coordinator will:
a. be available to assist Principals/Directors in the selection of particular pieces of hardware and
software for purchase; and
b. be responsible, in conjunction with BOCES, for researching and securing service and
purchase agreements at the best possible rates.
6. The Technology coordinator will oversee the Computer budget.
7. The Technology Coordinator is responsible for dissemination to appropriate staff, information on
new technology and materials.
Adoption date: March 15, 2004