The Board of Education affirms its basic responsibility to ensure district students are given a full opportunity for a comprehensive educational program based upon free inquiry. Therefore, the Board asserts its basic responsibility to provide the following materials for all district students and teachers:
1. instructional materials necessary to assist in the fulfillment of the goals of all district-approved programs;
2. resource materials which will enrich and support district-approved educational programs;
3. support materials which stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, cultural heritage,
aesthetic values, and ethical-moral standards;
4. varied sources of information which will contribute to thoughtful, intelligent, and meaningful decision-making;
5. a balance of materials which appropriately cover opposing sides of controversial issues for the purpose of
critical analysis; and
6. materials representative of the many historical, political, social, ethnic, religious, and social groups which
contribute to American and world heritage.
The selection of all district materials shall be made by the appropriate certified instructional personnel, under the coordination of the relevant Building Principal, who shall recommend such materials to the Superintendent of Schools for submission to the Board for its approval.
The Board authorizes the Superintendent to establish any and all rules, regulations, and procedures necessary to implement and maintain this policy.
Adoption date: January 1, 1993
Reviewed on: September 29, 2003