SCHOOL BOARD POWERS AND DUTIES REGULATION
School Visits by Board Members
Board members shall inform Building Principals of school visitation upon entering the building or, whenever possible, in advance. Concerns or opinions related to the educational program in individual school buildings shall be directed to the Superintendent of Schools.
Access to Personnel Files
A member of the Board may review employee records provided that:
1. the Superintendent is requested in advance to present the file at a regularly
scheduled workshop or meeting of the Board;
2. a majority of the Board agrees that the file may be reviewed;
3. the file is reviewed during an Executive Session in the presence of the full Board
and the Superintendent;
4. the personnel records are returned in their entirety to the Superintendent at the
conclusion of the Executive Session; and
5. no reproduction of the records is made and no written notes are taken of the
contents of employee records.
The information contained in such records shall only be used by the Board for the purpose of aiding Board members in decisions regarding personnel employment matters, such as appointments, assignments, promotions, demotions, remuneration, discipline or dismissal; development and implementation of personnel policies; or such other uses as are necessary to enable the Board to carry out its legal responsibilities.
Cross-ref: 9510, Personnel Records
Ref: 8 NYCRR, Part 84
Adoption date: January 1, 1993
Reviewed on: February 4, 2003