BUS DRIVER QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING REGULATION
1. Must be at garage at least 15 minutes before the bus is due to leave garage.
2. Must check tires, lights, oil, water, brakes and make sure windshield is clean before leaving garage.
3. Must make daily report sheet to be signed and turned in at the end of each day.
4. Bus must be swept at least once each day and washed at least every two weeks as per washing schedule. Spare buses must be swept when used.
5. Must see that no child stands until all seats are filled (three in seat) and that no child stands in step well or driver's line of vision. The driver must be polite and courteous at all times and be responsible for the safety of all children on the bus.
6. Must direct and signal every child that crosses highway to cross in front of bus only.
7. Must be familiar with regulations of the State Education Department concerning school transportation.
8. Must be familiar with the state laws regarding the operation of school buses.
9. Try to maintain route schedule only within the limits of safe driving.
10. Must see that the bus is not overloaded and if so to report to the supervisor as soon as possible.
11. Must notify supervisor at least one hour before run is due to leave garage if sick or otherwise unable to report.
12. Must make any complaints of behavior of children directly to supervisor.
13. Must notify supervisor or mechanic of any needed repairs at end of run so repairs can be made before another trip is possible. Also, note on daily report sheet.
14. Must report any accident, even if slight, to the Supervisor of Transportation as soon as possible. A serious accident must be reported to the Supervisor or Assistant Superintendent immediately.
15. Must not push another bus with his/her bus.
16. All buses must be in loading position at high school before students leave school. This rule shall apply to other loading places as far as possible.
17. Buses must not be backed up at any time at any school loading zone unless directed by a qualified person.
18. Every driver will gas his/her own bus, at least every other day. Do not depend on the gas gauge. Some do not register properly.
19. Extra drivers will work under the same rules and regulations as regular drivers.
20. Extra drivers must make a correct list of student's names and grade of each trip. This must be made by the end of the third week of school and a copy given to the Transportation Supervisor for record keeping.
Adoption date: January 1, 1993
Reviewed on: November 20, 2002